Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

An Apple A Day


I'm working on something....I'm actually writing. But only in my head. I know that once I get it all out on paper, it's gonna be good...but you'll have to wait a few days for it.
Things at work have been more than crazy, my business partner who I usually bounce these things off is out of town, and my hubby is having a bad week so there has been very little down time. On top of that, I fell on the weekend and hurt my neck, so I was nursing a headache to begin with.
Looking at this card, this is exactly what I would like to be doing...going home and curling up on the couch with a pillow and blanket and a good novel. It's been year's since I was able to just sit and read. When I was a kid I used to spend whole afternoon's just reading...sometimes two novels at a time. I speed read...it drives my husband crazy. Basically, I was taught to read only the important words. For example, if the sentence starts as a description of a building I skip it and move on. I don't read the "said Sue" parts of the story, just the words she said. When I was in my early 20's I used to read Harlequin Novels (cheesy I know!) in a couple of hours and have absorbed enough information to discuss it. Used to drive high school teachers crazy!
Thankfully, my oldest daughter is now old enough that's she's beginning to enjoy chapter books. We picked up a few books last weekend for a birthday present, plus one for ourselves. Then, I put the wrong book in the present! Luckily, the receiver is a good friend and I know we'll be trading books soon. So, every night we are reading 2 chapters from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, one of my favorite books from when I was a child. I didn't see the movie back then. In fact, the first time I watched the movie was with my kids a few months ago...and they're hooked. I think we watch bits and pieces of it at least twice a week. Anyway, the book that I accidentally put in the present was James and the Giant Peach. I loved that one too. I can't wait to finish reading Charlie and start James.
Enjoy the card. Have a great weekend...thank goodness it's Friday!

No comments: