Friday, October 10, 2008

The road to recovery is rough...

I guess no one said it was going to be easy?!

Judi had some trouble keeping food down yesterday, but managed to keep dinner down as well as all foods today. She is very tired, and although she knows that her brother Brian and sister Paulette were there to visit, she doesn't remember their visits...does that make sense even? She is still in quite a bit of pain, but is only on Tylenol 3 with Codeine (which I would imagine is what is making her tummy upset). She told Carl that they gave her Laudanum, which made us laugh because it historically was known as a cure all...and of course it would be seeing as it was a mixture of alcohol and opium! But, now that I have read the explanation, it seems like they may have just given her a different pain medication.

I felt bad leaving my Dad behind when I left Wednesday was lonely being at the hospital just the two of us, never mind on his own. Judi isn't in the mood for chatting, so basically you have to keep yourself busy all day. On top of that, he can't get in to see her until 11 am and then she sleeps most of the afternoon way. So, we spent a lot of time in the Barton Bean Cafe - the hospital coffee shop. Carl had a nice visit with Brian in the afternoon and Paulette in the early evening.

Did I mention before that it seems like every second patient here is from Thunder Bay/Northwestern Ontario? Anyway, yesterday while in the coffee shop, Carl saw another gentleman who looked familiar...and then he heard the man say he was from Thunder Bay. So, of course, Carl inquired if he was in fact from Thunder Bay...and a few moments later they realized that the Gent and his wife had just moved into Judi and Carl's condo building last week! Now that's a small world!

So, despite thinking that he would be lonely, Carl has managed to keep himself busy and he met the new neighbour...imagine that!

When we chatted this afternoon, Dad said that Judi is moving much better today. She walked out of her room and to the nursing station one door down and back just after lunch. She has to walk for 5 mins. 3 times in a day before they will let her go home. He's figuring she'll be discharged on Sunday to fly home.

In all of this, I haven't had too much time to work on my crafts. It feels like I cook, do laundry, sleep and shower. Somewhere in there I'm putting in a full work day. But, we got a sitter and we're headed out just my husband and I on Saturday evening. And, tonight I'm headed to the movies with a girlfriend. I'm hoping to sneak a few minutes to make Mom a "hope you're feeling better" card for when she comes home. If I do, I'll take a picture of it and post it here.

No comments: